About This Blog...

I started this blog as a means of promoting my Etsy Shop. Most of the items here I have sold, or are for sale there. Take a peek. I think you'll like it.

Saturday, November 1, 2014

Upcycled Trunk Bookcase and Side Table Set








                                                                                                                                                                      The first thing I did was cut through the hinges to remove the lid. Then I drilled through the rivets to that held all the little bits of hardware that I needed to remove like these brackets and the lid stays.




   This old wine crate fits the width of the trunk so I'll use it as a drawer. I'll cut down its depth so it fits perfectly.





I found this hi-res map graphic online and printed it out on standard size craft paper sheets.





I'll start in the middle and work my way out to make sure I have my graphic centered in the trunk.


Once everything is dry I'll trim away the edges, and then put some graphics on the side panels.





Next I spray painted all the metal parts. I didn't worry about taping off anything as I'll be repainting the body of the trunk any way.





 While that was drying I took the back off the crate and cut it down on the table saw making really sure that there were no nails in the path of the blade. Then I put it back together. Now the depth was just right.




Checking the fit.





I cut down a thin plywood panel to line the inside of the crate so that no one would have to touch the rough sawn wood on the inside.





I flipped the trunk over to work on the drawer runners and rails. The dark wood will be the runners and will attach to the drawer. the lighter wood will be the rails and will attach to the trunk. The other pieces are just spacers.





 I drilled through the sides of the trunk to attach the rails.





Then I glued and nailed the runners to the sides of the crate.





After a lot of sanding I rub candle wax over the rails and runners so that everything will glide smoothly.





I cut down a pine board to make shelves for the inside, sanded, stained and gave them a clear coat of poly. They'll be screwed through the sides of the trunk to hold them in place.





I cut the feet from a piece of 2x4 on my table saw.





I just screw through the bottom of the trunk to attach them.





The outside of the trunk was painted black and given a few coats of clear poly. Everything was reassembled once dry.





Drawer Detail














2 comments:

  1. WOW! WOW! WOW! I just found your blog for the first time today and can honestly say that I am LOVIN' everything I see. Off to explore further and become a follower.

    Judi in the UK

    ReplyDelete
  2. saw this on home talk and came over to look it is way above my pay grade but is way cool love it xx

    ReplyDelete